YORKVILLE AND EAST HARLEM PPE
Support us in providing essential Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to New Yorkers who need it most.
OUR COLLECTIVE MISSION
n New York City, there are over 208,000 confirmed COVID-related cases and 21,100 deaths – contributing to 20% of all deaths in the US. (1) New York City is the hardest hit COVID-19 region in the world. COVID-19 has impacted the lives of every New Yorker, and now more than ever, New Yorkers need Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
The Community PPE initiative has partnered with Downtown Independent Democrats and Four Freedoms Democratic Club to provide free, essential protective supplies to NYC communities that need it most in order to lessen the spread of COVID-19.
Our primary focus is to bring much needed PPE to communities that need it most. Partnerships with neighborhood clubs, advocacy groups, alliances, and city offices provide a valuable vantage point into Yorkville and East Harlem’s hardest hit communities so that the foundation can tailor neighborhood solutions to provide free PPE to these areas. Our first priority is to provide essential PPE to community groups such as:
- Essential Service Workers like grocery store and delivery service workers are in danger everyday as they are the backbone of our neighborhood’s livelihood. They are experiencing PPE shortages across the board, and by protecting them, we will greatly limit the spread of COVID-19.
- Seniors at nursing homes and senior centers are at the highest-risk for COVID-19.
- Public Housing is one of the hardest hit areas of NYC and they have very limited access to affordable supplies to battle the pandemic.
- Homeless New Yorkers with nowhere to shelter safely are at high risk of COVID-19 infection and contagion.
- Other high risk groups such as families living in multi-generational and crowded households are at risk of exponential contagion.
WHERE YOUR DONATION GOES
A $15 donation will pay for a care package with a 2-weeksupply of disposable masks, gloves and hand sanitizer, while supplies last,for one of our Upper Manhattan neighbors in need. The Covid Foundation sources these supplies directly from the manufacturers and will distribute the care packages to essential workers, seniors, families in Public Housing and homeless centers where the need is most urgent.
East Harlem defines the northern most corner of Manhattan starting at East 116th street, between Fifth Ave and the Harlem River.
Yorkville is located in the upper east side of Manhattan between East 79th street and East 96th street and between the East River and 3rd Ave.
Need PPE delivered to your organization?
Why NYC first?
NYC is currently the epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic. Not only are the hospitals overwhelmed with patients and face the shortage of PPE, city dwellers equally face the shortage of PPE. Since NYC has a high density of population, the lack of available PPE threatens the health and livelihood of first responders, essential workers, senior citizens, low-income households, multi-generational households, the list goes on.
What is in each care package?
We will package and provide 10 surgical masks, 10 pairs of gloves and while supplies last, 2 small bottles of hand sanitizer. We have a two week goal as it generally takes 14 days for the virus to incubate and be treated before next steps have to be made. A two week care package will help prevent spread within the family.
What does success look like?
If we can save one New York family from being infected, we consider ourselves successful. If a family member is infected, that means they have a high chance of contagion to other family members in their household and to people they interact with in their community. Our current primary goal is to provide PPE to as many families in New York City.
What have you accomplished so far?
Through the Lower Manhattan Community PPE Relief effort, we have successfully purchased, imported, and donated:
- 80 care packages to seniors in Two Bridges Tower and Two Bridges Senior Apartments
- 45 care packages to the homeless at Bowery Mission
- 75 care packages to social workers via Sheltering Arms
- 1500 disposable masks to home health workers via Ain’t I A Woman
In addition, the COVID Foundation has successfully raised over $175,000 and purchased, imported, and donated
- 20,000+ Respirators for 25+ Hospitals In NYC
- 14,000 disposable masks for prisoners and guards in Rikers Island in New York
- 8,000 disposable masks for prisoners and guards in Kings County Jail in Washington
By doing so, we have proven that we can:
- Access a vetted, global supply chain of FDA-certified factories that produce US health grade PPE (such as NIOSH-approved N95 Respirators). Access to these factories means that we are able to acquire a wide range of PPE quickly and at competitive rates.
- Build a comprehensive database of major hospitals in the NYC area and are in touch with many of the Chief Physicians of their Emergency Rooms & ICUs to understand their immediate needs. Expanding this database to Community PPE for NYC, we would source information on PPE needs from our community partners to prioritize on need.
- An effective distribution strategy in which we leverage our partners’ deep understanding of constituents and distribution support to provide as many PPE to New Yorkers as quickly as possible.
How do you prioritize who receives PPE?
By partnering with neighborhood offices, advocacy groups, alliances, and city offices, we can identify the communities in greatest need and work with our partners to distribute free PPE to their constituents as quickly and effectively as possible.
How will the funds be used?
Our funds will go to facilitating the purchase and delivery of PPE to NYC communities that need it most. We minimize our administrative overhead to well below non-profit industry standards so that we can maximize impact and program contributions.
Are donations tax-deductible?
Yes, donations are tax-deductible. We are a registered 501(c)3 organization, receiving fiscal sponsorship from the Giving Back Fund. Our EIN is: 04-3367888
I’ve seen other charity efforts related to COVID-19. How is this one different?
Your donation will go directly to support the acquisition of surgical masks and gloves from FDA-certified factories. We have direct relationships with global manufacturers that ensure that your donation is acquired at cost with no distributor (middlemen) markups. Our foundation is currently volunteer run, so your donation pays for the PPE and at most 10% administrative fees (fees related to maintaining webpage, car rentals for distribution, and legal fees), and nothing else.
Aside from donations, how can we help?
Feel free to follow us on Instagram @covidfoundation or share our cause with your friends!
- If you want to volunteer to help us with NYC distribution you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject headline “PPE Distribution Help”.
- If you have a direct relationship with PPE manufacturers that can provide equipment at market costs, you can e-mail us at email@example.com with a subject headline “PPE Equipment Manufacturer”.
- If you are a member of the press or would like to connect us with a member of the press, you can e-mail us with a subject headline “Press Contact” to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Want to get involved either by helping us fundraise or connecting us to groups in need of PPE? E-mail email@example.com with the title “Yorkville and East Harlem PPE Relief”